Wellsboro is a small, picturesque and historic town in the Northern Tier of Pennsylvania… but we have STUFF! And all of this is within a few blocks of the downtown Penn Wells Hotel. You may be staying at another hotel, but they are all in the same area, you’ll figure it out. I included a nifty interactive map at the bottom of this page. Read through what I have written, and the map will make a lot of sense. Traffic lights are marked for your convenience.
First of all, there is a difference between the Penn Wells HOTEL and the Penn Wells LODGE. The hotel is antique. Literally. The lodge is very modern and down the street from the hotel.
You will probably need to visit THE GREEN at some point. It’s at Center Avenue and Main Street. Just drive for a few minutes and you’ll find it. It’s the green thing on the bottom left corner of the map.
Need Fuel? There are 2 gas stations close by with full convenience stores, both are open 24 hours, offer made to order food 24 hours, and have diesel.
- Nittany Minit Mart – East past the plaza, past the light on the left.
- Acorn Market – East Avenue past the Wellsboro Diner (toward Mansfield) a few blocks on the left.
Need a Drink? Some of the restaurants below offer full bars. These places are traditional bars.
- The Penn Wells Lounge – yep, there’s a full bar just off the lobby in the Penn Wells Hotel. No smoking.
- The Gaslight – across the street. Traditional bar offering draught and bottle beer, liquor, shuffleboard, darts and a jukebox. Full menu. Smoking permitted.
- Your Mama’s Mug – two blocks west, left on Crafton. Traditional bar offering draught and bottle beer, liquor, pool, darts and a jukebox. Extensive Buffalo and Hog Wing menu. Smoking permitted.
Need Food? Wellsboro has many national chain and local eateries within walking distance of the Penn Wells.
- The Mary Wells Dining Room – right in the hotel, you don’t even have to leave!
- Cafe 1905 – in Dunham’s department store. They have Starbucks.
- The Wellsboro Diner – on the corner. Built in an antique rail car. Classic diner food.
- The Steak House – Across the street. Family owned steak house, only opens at 5pm.
- Dumpling House – Across the street. (American) Chinese food, but no buffet.
- Johnny Z’s Hot Rod Cafe – a block west. Mexican themed food.
- Subway – a block west, across the street. You know Subway.
- Timeless Destination – a block west, across the street. Nice sit-down restaurant on main street. Full bar.
- Harland’s – two blocks west, then a block off main on Pearl. Family-style restaurant.
- The Native Bagel – West to the next light, around the corner to the right. Homemade salads, soups and sandwiches.
- Dunkin’ Donuts – just east in the plaza. America runs on Dunkin’. Open 24 hours.
- Tony’s Italian Cuisine – east past plaza, just behind Dunkin’ Donuts. Pizza and Italian dishes.
- Fox’s Pizza Den/Terry’s Hoagies – east past plaza, right at light, on left. Pizza/Hoagie shop. Delivery.
- McDonald’s – probably won’t want to walk. East past the plaza, right at the light. Only drive-thru in Wellsboro.
- Pizza Hut – easy walk from the lodge. East past the plaza, just past the light, on left. Serves beer. Delivery.
- The Frog Hut – East past the plaza, just past the light, on the right. Food and Ice Cream.
- The Wellsboro House – probably won’t want to walk. East past the plaza, right at the light, bear right, on right. Full bar.
- Pudgies Pizza – East Avenue past the Wellsboro Diner (toward Mansfield) a few blocks on the left. Too far to walk, but they offer beer and delivery.
Want to Shop?
- Dunham’s – across the street. A traditional department store, also offering a hardware store and furniture store on the same block.
- Shabby Rue – women’s fashions and home decor.
- Wild Asaph Outfitters – clothing and gear for outdoor adventures.
- Needles – quilt shop. Quilts made in-house.
- Senior’s Creations – custom gifts
- CS Sports – sporting goods, ski and bicycle shop.
- In My Shoes – footwear for the whole family.
- Stained Glass Reflections – Stained glass shop.
- Garrison’s Mens Shop – Men’s clothier that carries women’s apparel as well.
- The Fifth Season – women’s fashion boutique and home decor.
- Pop’s Culture Shoppe – check it out, I have honestly never been in there.
- Enchanted Hollow – a shop for those in touch with nature.
- Etc. Antiques – yep, it’s an antique shop
- From My Shelf Books – traditional hometown bookstore
- Main Street Mercantile – gifts and decor
- The Painted Cupboard – gifts and decor
Other Places You May Find Useful on Your Visit
- Need Medicine? There is a CVS just east in the plaza and a Rite Aid 3 blocks up East Avenue.
- Need Groceries? There is TOPS Supermarket in the plaza too.
- Vehicle Trouble? AAA North Penn is just east past the plaza, right at the light. Across from McDonald’s.
- Really Thirsty? The State Liquor Store is on Crafton across from Your Mama’s Mug and Steve’s Beverage beer distributor is on 6 West a bit past Pizza Hut on the left.
- Catch a Movie? The Arcadia Theater is right next to the Penn Wells Hotel. They offer 4 screens.
This was created in an attempt to assist those who may not be familiar with Wellsboro, PA. I was born in Hershey, grew up in Pine Grove and have been living in Wellsboro since 2008 – I know what it’s like to visit for the first time. There are a lot more places to explore besides what you’ll find written about here, but I tried to cover the immediate downtown area. I hope you find this helpful.
–Eric Kelly, KellyPlanet.com